Higher Ed Trivia: 15.6 Fun Info for 2013 In addition to providing a compelling page current day’s undergraduate college students, the Chronicle of Higher Education includes compiled a wide range of miscellaneous data for its yearly Almanac.
Some bits of trivia will be entirely predictable but other people leave possibly even professionals rubbing their mind.
For example , difficult surprising that this number of education majors has brought a real hit— down 6 percent on 20 years— but do you have guessed that through the same timeframe majors inside park, amusement, leisure, together with fitness analyses rose by simply 734% p . c?
Or are you aware that Liberty Higher education, in Lynchburg, Virginia, moved by 940% in the ten-year period stopping in 2011?
For those who don’t have some subscription to Chronicle of upper Education , I am selling 15 “fun facts” you might find interesting at least useful dialogue starters:
- The most qualifications awarded this years went to industry, management, internet marketing, and connected support providers (369, 042); the fewest went to government technologies and also applied discipline (64).
- Among the freshmen, 21 years old. 1 percentage characterize their selves as ‘conservative, ” whilst 26. main percent are “liberal. inches
- In 2011-12 the typical total damages for public-college presidents took on to $441, 392, an increase of four. 7 percentage from 2010-11
- Over 20 percent of college freshmen aspire to earn your Ph. Def., while 15. 4 percentage want to join the professional medical profession seeing that doctors, vets, or dental.
- After a decade-long surge, postsecondary enrollment fallen by two-tenths of a percent in tumble of year 2011, to 18. 6 zillion undergrad and also graduate learners.
- Among junior enrolling how to write to professor in four-year institutions in the slide of this, 38. check out percent noted spending some or more time per week accomplishing homework throughout their last year of high school.
- The average salary all around all school ranks on private schools was 99 dollars, 771 on 2012-13, in contrast to $80, 578 at people colleges.
- Just a bit over ten percent of frosh reported expending over something like 20 hours/week performing ‘for pay’ during their this past year of high university.
- The average in-state student living on grounds at a people institution paid back 8, 655 in college tuition and fees plus $9, 205 in room along with board; the regular private pupil living at campus spent $29, 056 in tuition and fees and $10, 462 in room and board.
- The most common ‘probable’ arena of study/major among freshmen is small business (14. 4%) and, the smallest amount of popular is usually physical knowledge (2. 5%)
- The most convenient growing discipline in terms of growth in bachelor’s degrees presented is ‘construction trades, ‘ which progressed up by using a whopping 4, 267 pct in 20 years.
- Slightly over 46% for freshmen were located more than 70 miles from, while twelve. 4% described living 10 or a lot fewer miles from the house.
- More than two-thirds of college college students expressed assurance in their entire academic means, though less than 50 % considered themselves above average inside mathematical or even writing knowledge.
- Almost 87% of freshmen expect to carry out their degrees of severity in 4 years or perhaps less.
- The main fastest-growing common research association in the country is normally Texas Could University of which increased just by 85. 7% from slip 2001 in order to fall right before christmas, while the swiftest growing general population master’s group was California Gulf Region University of which grew by just over 200%.
Typically the ACT Means to fix Subject Analyze Requirements
For most pupils, SAT Subject Tests tend to be thankfully not really part of the application rat race. It could only a handful of highly “selective” schools in which either need or highly strongly indicate the completion of some Subject Test out scores to become considered intended for admission.
But to be clear, there are numerous of purposes why colleges might like to find out Subject Exams. Sometimes they want particular Subject matter Tests via students interested in specific principal or packages of study. Or they may be required for students looking to enroll in multiplied or specific honors programs. Homeschooled learners are often asked to send Matter Tests to confirm what they already have learned.
As well as students planning to underscore competence in a selected subject should submit scores regardless of needs to be college necessitates.
It’s certainly something to take into consideration as you grow standardized test-taking strategies around high school, so you might want to agenda specific exams as they coincide with Innovative Placement and also other sophisticated coursework whenever you move through senior high school.
Yet in spite of good purposes, it’s at times hard to squeeze in all the examining in time in order to meet deadlines, particularly when you’re planning to apply Early Choice or Quick Action.
When you are feeling a little panicked with regards to Subject Testing either since you also never became around to taking these folks or because your scores weren’t quite all the way to you had wanted they would often be, there is very good news: a number of colleges will allow you to alternative the REACT with Crafting for POSED Subject Medical tests.
Not only performs this represent an economical solution to the main problem— just need to pay for 1 test instead of several— although because the TAKE ACTION is given within September, there is a chance to make over the summer time and please take a test that is certainly guaranteed to show results in time for you early balms.
In other words, an individual avoid going scores coming from October and also worrying concerning whether or not the School Board definitely will transmit standing in time to fulfill deadlines.
In particular those of you with the ACT solution to the Subject Experiment dilemma, keep in mind what a higher education requires might be different from that they can expect using their best appliers. There is not comprehensive agreement within the college admissions neighborhood as to whether the particular offer that will substitute tests should be used at face value. Precisely what is clear would be that the majority of individuals admitted to schools send Subject Checks. So you should think about opting from Subject Checks only if you feel your lots would execute a disservice for a candidacy.
To remain in mind that a great many colleges need scores delayed into the practice, and you can take into consideration taking Topic Tests at the end of fall or maybe early Jan of person year in the form of back-up or to submit when your application is normally deferred with early programs or you happen to be eventually positioned on a put it off list.
For your record, and here is a list of universities accepting the main ACT having Writing rather than9126 both SITTING and Issue Tests (special thanks to Cigus Vanni who have provided typically the list):
- Amherst University, MA
- Barnard College, THE BIG APPLE
- Boston University, MA
- Brown leafy University, RI
- Bryn Mawr College, PA (note some other testing options)
- Columbia College, NY
- Fight it out University, NC
- Haverford College or university, PA
- McGill University, Europe
- Pomona Institution, CA
- Hemp University, ARIZONA
- Swarthmore Higher education, PA (note other examining options)
- Stanford University, MUM
- University connected with Pennsylvania
- Vassar College, NY OG BRUGERVENLIG
- Wellesley Institution, MA
- Wesleyan College, CT
- Yale Higher education, CT
Sep 16, 2013
Encountering weather conditions more common of September than Sept,, the Higher Learning Consultants Group (HECA) strike it hard the road a while back for a trip of six colleges and universities operating out of the greater Pittsburgh area.
And all sorts of six campuses were busy with activity. Students who began classes few weeks earlier were being settled straight into established daily routines and felt like energized via the bright together with sunny times.
On the administrative side, accès offices ended up working backstage to put finishing touches in student recruitment programs booked for the crash. It was a pleasurable time to get your share in Pittsburgh.